Here are some resources that may help answer questions you have about these renewable heating options.
Wood & Pellet Stoves
- BurnWise, an EPA.gov site, has a good FAQ section on wood and pellet stoves.
- Hearth.com has very active national forums on stoves, and a set of articles, including this one on pellet stove maintenance.
- Alliance for Green Heat is another good source on heating with wood and pellets.
- The Heat Smart Tompkins site has lots of resources on heat pumps.
- Geothermalgenius.org has good resources on geothermal heating.
- Are heat pumps cost-effective in the Southern Tier? This 2017 study [pdf] from Taitem Engineering in Ithaca, NY indicates that heat pump technology can be cheaper than propane or even natural gas!
HEAP - Home Energy Assistance Program
In addition, be sure to check out the Home Energy Assistance Program, which provides help with heating bills, as well as free heating equipment repair and replacement for income-qualifying households.